Child Safety Information

Townsville Junior Touch Football is dedicated to providing a safe environment for all our young participants, and we take this very seriously!

Under Queensland Government laws, volunteers that work with children are required to possess a current/active "Working With Children check" through the QLD Governments Blue Card Services department.

In general, you will be required to hold a current Blue Card if you are involved in junior sport, but there are some exemptions to this requirement.

Please note: you may occasionally find that some of the links to external websites found on this page may be out-of-date due to the everchanging nature of the rules and legislation around child safety. If you find that a link is out-of-date, please use the 'Feedback' tab on the right-hand side of this website to let us know, and always refer to the QLD Governments Blue Card Services website - - for the most up-to-date information.


On 12 June 2018, the Queensland Government announced that they will provide additional funding over the next three years to further strengthen the blue card system by introducing a "No Card, No Start" approach. This means that all people working with children will require a Blue Card before they can start child-related work.


Please note that the following questions and answers are subject to change, and clarification should be directed to your club or QLD Government's Blue Card Services.

Q: I have a Blue Card from another sport or club, is this valid for every association/club?
A: The short answer is no. You don't need to apply for a new card, but your club will will need to "link" your existing card.
More information can be found here.

Q: I am coaching my child's team, do I still need a Blue Card?
A: No. The current laws allow for parents providing the same service that your child is participating in to be exempt from holding a Blue Card for that purpose, i.e. because you are coaching your child's team then you do not need a Blue Card.

Q: I am refereeing in a junior competition, do I need a Blue Card?
A: Yes, if you are 18+ years of age.

Q: I am turning 18 this year, when do I need to apply for a Blue Card?
A: If you are working with children, you will need to hold a valid Blue Card from the day you turn 18. It is recommended to apply for your Blue Card in advanced so that you are covered.

Q: I have applied for a Blue Card, but have not received it yet. Can I start working with children while I wait?
A: No. You must have your Blue Card and Positive Notice letter issued before you start!

Q: I am from outside Queensland and have a Working With Children Check in my own state. Is it valid in QLD?
A: No. The QLD Government does not recognise checks from outside of QLD.

Q: I am a registered teacher or police officer. Do I require a Blue Card?
A: No, but are required to have an Exemption Card approved by Blue Card Services.

Q: I have been convicted of a criminal offence. Can I still hold a Blue Card?
A: Some offences will disqualify you from holding a Blue Card - please visit to find out more.

For more information about whether you are required to hold a Blue Card, or how to apply for one, please visit